Sunday 13 May 2012

2012 Bean sowing

So - a few weeks back I sowed:
Cranberry CFB
Lablab beans
and some Moonlight and White Lady runners - got 1 Moonlight and 3 White Lady runners to germinate - out of new packets. Big wow.

All the cranberry and lab lab ones came up. Bearing in mind these are self saved by other gardeners - and not even guaranteed fresh - this makes me even more keen to stick to swapped seed.

Anyway - today's sowings are
all 6 of my Hopi Yellow - these have been put into vermiculite in a plastic bag and will be put into the airing cupboard to try and encourage them to germinate - I have no idea how old these are but I suspect 10 years at least. Fingers crossed. 

Flavert - one of my favourite DFB - I am growing quite a few so have put them into a sprouter and will remove and plant up as each germinates. All my own fresh seed from last year.

Into pots/modules/root trainers have gone:
CFB -
Cranberry Lilac
Trionfo Violetto
Purple King
Veitch's
Kentucky Wonder
Coco bianco

DFB -
Minodor
Dapple Grey
Flavert from another year's batch
Black Valentine
Canadian Wonder
Anasazi
Coco De Paimpol

Bush -
Italian Rose
Scarlet Beauty
Vermont Appaloosa
Blue Jay
Littlefield's Special

And 2 off the wall ones:
Walawi Red Bean - originally from Zambia
Mystery bean 

I'll do another batch in a week or two - it's about the space and timing the beans to be in the plot around the time when they are not going to be affected by wind burn...which can put them back weeks.

Tar Heel Beans - these I am still trying to get to germinate - although my good chum has managed it I am due to try again in a few weeks.

Tar Heel Beans

1 comment:

Steve said...

Hi Zazen

I though you deserved an award
http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.fr/sunshine-award.html

Hope you are well.
Steve