Sunday 5 January 2014

Seeds saved in 2013

Well, hello 2014.

It was a busy year, 2013 - a new garden to manage, a new business with my lovely business partner, a DTLLS qualification to finish, a new job, and new students, new processes and procedures and teaching new people at the community gardens.

So, it would be understandable if I'd not managed to save any seeds but lo and behold - in amongst the chaos - I did. Both at home and at the community gardens. So to make myself feel better today I thought I'd list them as I am doing my usual yearly seed sift to see what can be grown, sown, swapped, given to students to grow and what to sell or give away.

Seeds saved in 2013:
Seed Guardian seeds:
Val's Bean - DFB
Rognon D'Loise - DFB
Bird's Egg - CFB
Bonne Bouche - CFB
Bountiful - DFB * I have saved these but they are somewhere in the house
Imur Prior Beta tomato
Yellow Perfection tomato
Peacevine Cherry Tomato

All the above I will be growing in 2014 [at home, at the allotment and at the community gardens] and 90% of the collected seeds will be going to the Heritage Seed Library.

I will also be hosting some plants for Real Seeds -  we have agreed to have around 6-10 Gelbe Kirschen Cherry Chilli plants and save from all of them for Real Seeds, plus a brassica which they are thinking about. So that will be amazing.

Other saved seeds for growing and local swapping:
Tarbais CFB
Corona De Spagna CFB
Bridgewater CFB
Berner Landfrouen CFB
Blue and White CFB
Reade Krobbe DFB
Brightstone DFB
Inca Pea CFB
Marfax DFB
Hutterite Soup DFB
Zuni Bush bean
Trionfo Violette CFB
Succotash DFB
True Red Cranberry DFB
A mystery lupino bean [no idea the variety]
A mystery black bush bean
Croatian bean

Butterbean - Soya Bean
Blackpod Runner Bean [at allotment, may not come true]
White Lady Runner Bean [isolated in polytunnel]

Goldensweet Mangetout Pea

Kyoto Market Bunching Onion

Piglet Willie's French Black tomato
Dark Purple Beefsteak tomato
Salt Spring Surprise tomato
Stonor's No 2 tomato
Sugar Plum tomato

Mini White Cucumber

Look - a pic of all the seeds all packed up





I also have:
Yacon
Potato Onions
Egyptian Walking Onion
Oca [to dig up in the next week]
Load of herbs - Dill, parsley, Chioggia Beetroot, Swiss chard etc etc.

And more that I can't remember as they are being housed at the Community Gardens.

Not a bad haul for a busy year.

Bring on 2014. Happy new year to all of you growers and seed savers.

No comments: